» Quick & Dirty Guide to Art Basel 2012
Quick & Dirty Guide to Art Basel 2012
Category: Art|Events|Music Posted by: Caro on November 28th, 2012
Every year Art Basel sounds like a great idea… feeling real cultured and rubbing elbows with people from around the world. Then street art went viral and Miami went pachanga on Basel. Gallery hopping isn’t as easy as it used to be. We offer this guide as a way to handle the madness and enjoy yourself. We’ll continue to update this guide, so stay tuned.
These are the parties you’re not on the list for. The kind of shin digs beautiful people mingle and celebrities abound.
- Fashionista’s will be dying to score an invite to posh English Tea Party with Stella McCartney at The Webster (1220 Collins Ave., Miami Beach)
- Ballroom Marfa will host an “invite only” party in the cabanas at the uber trendy SLS Hotel South Beach (1701 Collins Ave., Miami Beach) on Wednesday, December 5th.
- On Tuesday, December 4 from 7 the Vanity Fair International Party will be the Museum of Contemporary Art’s (770 N.E. 123rd Street, North Miami) official kick off featuring Viola, an iconic contemporary artiar.
- “If These Walls Could Talk” will commemorate Miami Art Museum’s (101 W. Flagler St., Downtown Miami) 29th year at the Cultural Center Plaza on Saturday, December 8th. Dinner, dancing and a tribute to Miami’s local art community will only cost you $1k or get a table for $25k.
Basel seems to be less about the art these days, so make sure you carve some time to appreciate the obscure, beautiful and intriguing international talents.
- December 6 – 9 | The Armory Studios (572 N.W. 23rd St., Wynwood)
Miami’s Independent Thinkers will feature local artists of all kinds: painters, photographers, filmmakers, sculptors, animators, writers, musicians, muralists, performance and new media artists. Not to mention their co-op farmers market featuring organic fruits and vegetables, herbs, sustainable clothes and accessories and more.
- December 4 – 9 | (3101 N.E. 1st Ave., Midtown)
The 23rd edition of Art Miami will have 125 galleries represented and a new “fair-within-a-fair” that means an additional 65 galleries housed in a special area called CONTEXT. Keep an eye out for the six-ton walls with Banksy pieces!
- December 7 – 8, 10am – 10pm | Kike San Martin Studios (2045 N.W. 1st Ave., Wynwood)
Miami Street Photography Festival, a collection of contemporary Street Photography viewed through the eyes of 150 known and emerging photographers from all over the world. Free and open to the public.
SIGN ME UP
What are the fun and free events? Which parties to RSVP for ASAP?
- December 5 -7, 10am – 5pm | JW Marriott Marquis (255 Biscayne Boulevard Way, Miami)
Christie’s will host their 3rd annual event with highlights from their London auction, “The Art of the Surreal” check it out fo’ free!
- Debut December 3rd | The Betsy Hotel (1440 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach)
“The Lost Beatles and the Lost Rolling Stones Photographs” will be on display showcasing an archive of Bob Bonis’ which were shot between 1964 and 1966 while he was the tour manager for both bands’ first US tours. Take a gander for free all week.
- Saturday, December 8th | (41 NW 20th Street, Wynwood)
Basel Castle has always brought together art and music before it was the sell out thing to do. This year you’ll get to listen to Purity Ring, Twin Shadow, Brenmar, Dave 1, Chromeo (DJ set), Jacuzzi Boys, Nick Catchdubs and more. And get to see work by Anthony Lister, Buff Monster, Ron English, Anthony Ausgang, Mike Bode and then some. While there are free tickets if you’re lucky enough to score one a $25 ticket gets you guaranteed admission all night, just be there early the lines are notorious.
MUSIC, MOVIES & STUFF
In between the art appreciation there are screenings and performances to catch. Since Basel seems to be catching. This year the “other” events are adding up and threatening to outnumber the art fairs.
- December 6th | Gusman Center for the Performing Arts (174 E Flagler Street, Miami)
Reminisce the Nirvana days with a three-part performance and exhibit called “KURT” a tribute to the late Kurt Cobain with an appearance by Sonic Youth’s Thurston Moore, a short film by Adarsha Benjamin and a 15-minute live version of the “Smells Like Teen Spirit” music video directed by Los Angeles choreographer Ryan Heffington, get your tickets here.
- December 7th, 9pm | The Stage (170 N.E. 38th St., Design District)
Take a break from the artsy fartsy with a performance by Rakim, ArtOfficial and Problem Kids, get your tickets here.
- December 9th | Goldrush (29 NE 11th st, Downtown Miami)
Hard2Leave is back again to wrap up the Art Basel-ness with music by DJ Craze and art by Tamara Sky. Not to mention Caligula, Damaged Goods, Spinstyles, Heroes x Villains and Vavlt Boys. Oh yeah, and the naked ladies too.
Txemy – Gallery 212